Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Forgotten Naturals?

So one of our college friends told me she wanted to be featured on our blog. For a second I had forgotten that she was natural because she always presses her hair. I've never seen it in its kinky state. Then it got me thinking...am I the only one that associates being natural with the afro puff? I know I'm not. lol. I've heard some veteran naturals talk bad about naturals who constantly flat iron or dye their hair. I personally don't use any heat on my hair (personal choice. not knocking those who do). I think the flat iron is just as damaging as a perm and I love my kinky curls. But anywho, why do we leave out the girls who are chemical free but still flat iron? Is there a stigma in the natural hair movement about naturals who flat iron? Are there rules for being natural? What do you think of when you think of natural hair. Also, for the nappy ladies that do use frequent heat, defend your case! Speak out! We don't mean to forget you :)
xoxo,
2 Nappy Students

2 comments:

  1. As a natural hair girl myself i try to stay away from heat as much as possible ...but sometimes in order to keep from having spilt ends and eventually breakage i will straighten my hair so that i can have my ends clipped every few months.... I think occasionally using heat on your hair is fine just as long as you moisturize your scalp and the rest of your hair before apply heat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been natural since I was born. My mom hasn't put a perm in hairt and I refuse to put a perm in it also. However, I do consider myself natural because my hair is chemical free. I choose to straighten my hair because its more manageable for me. I have been completely natural before with the kinky twists and everything but that just wasn't for me. However, I do not apply a lot of heat to my hair. I get my hair fully pressed once a month and touch it up when needed.

    ReplyDelete